Thursday, April 05, 2012

Nightclubs on the Brain?

Notes on a Landscape 33, 2012, 12 x 9 inches

The FUN Fellowship
The writer Joan Wickersham suggested I make a list of nightclubs I used to frequent in LA since I talked about them so much. It got me thinking about the club years (the first foray was 1974 to  Rodney Bingenheimer's English Disco) and I am infusing this period of time into my work. Clearly, I am not alone--the link above, to the Museum of Art and Design, awards artists who enhance New York nightlife, a most worthy aim! and at Pulse Miami, 2011, Jane Hart had an exhibition of album cover collages from the 1960s and '70s at Available Space. Other artists are thinking about them too--who? And--does anyone have images from LA clubs between 1977 and 1981? Including pop-up clubs, like the Garage on Hope Street, before the museum was built?!

No comments: